Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Example in Action

This past thursday it was my turn to teach something. I chose to teach about construction technology by doing the activity of building a wall. I won't go into the details of what I did, as many know some basics or the informations can be found, rather I want to focus on some of the flaws of my teaching and the trap that teachers fall into and emulate over and over. Teachers are trained to be experts in their fields of study. Birds of a feather flock together, and so I think as adults we always seek the highest level of thinking. But teachers can't have this mindset. Example: When experts on subjects teach, they submit complex terms that are common language, but which are new to students. The experts (teachers) don't always think of the terms that may be new and unfamiliar to students, and as they mention them in their ramblings of teaching, students are alienated and distanced from the opportunity for learning.

Secondly, I always talk to empty space. I think because of my shyness I cope with that by instead of looking directly at a person I look in between them, or, in the example of my construction teaching, I teach the wood. Geoff W's critique was that it looked like I was teaching the wood. The wood understood how to build walls but what about the students?

We need to realize that we are teaching. Teaching implies that the pupil is receiving new information. As such we mustn't assume total familiarity of the subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment