Thursday, October 14, 2010

Aims of an Education

I've had somewhat of a rough week. We had a "tiff" in our apartment which left me in some distress, yet gave me some time to think about things that are going on around me.

I love this major, and I think the things I'm learning prepare me so much better than could any other filed of study. We are becoming well rounded in technical literacy while also learning differences in learning and teaching styles. As such I am beginning to find more purpose in listening to lectures and more effectiveness in conversing, speaking, and teaching others with whom I speak to. I ask more pointed and guiding questions. I use scaffolding in conversations when I need to persuade others to see something my way. I sometimes don't answer questions directly but ask questions in return. I'm even giving better attention to my own hierarchy of needs. This knowledge and learning even benefits me at work as a supervisor, where I deal with hot heads and misunderstandings in Intramural Sports. Before I used to get sucked into arguments and rushed into making judgments. But now, because of the things we learn in 276, I approach my work in new, seemingly more effective ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment