Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Week 4

As I was reading the Gong book this week, I came a cross what I think is the core message and key to the purpose of the book-How to be an effective Teacher/Learner. When teaching and learning one must ask the four questions, Why? What? How? So What? The why is the core purpose for the subject being taught. The what is the meaning of what being taught. How is the application of what is taught. So what identifies the values and morals. I think I came across a tool for better learning and retention. Not that this is necessarily ground breaking but that I've personally identified it is what matters. I want to try to making a 4 squared box at the top of each page of notes per class, and in the box, throughout a lecture I could identify the 4 questions of effective L/T's. This will help by clearly identifying the subject, identifying application, why we're learning it and how we can use it in future teaching, and the hardest, to then identify values within what is taught. This technique will serve as a mind mapping tool. By giving a visual organizational graphic to our learning opportunities, we are better prepared to remember the things we learn and apply them across disciplines.

No comments:

Post a Comment